Monday 16 November 2015

A Writing Update

As I said in my post last week, the main reason for my lack of blog posts lately (besides moving house, starting a new job and having an adventurous and sleep-shy one-year-old) is that I have been spending all of my free time writing. 

I had just finished my first detailed read through of Amber & Ice when I got another story idea which I was so consumed by I had to start planning it out at once. And once I'd planned it, I couldn't not start writing it immediately. Three months later and I have the first (very rough) draft of a new fantasy novel. I don't want to go into too much detail in this post, but I will tell you that it's set in the same world as the Elements of Power series, but features different characters. And no, it won't be called Earth, although it doesn't have a title yet. I feel like my writing has improved so much since I wrote Fire and this new novel has given me the chance to try and do a world and idea that I'm still very proud of a bit more justice. I'm not sure what my long-term plans are for it yet, but I had a lot of fun writing it and it's been  great exercise in learning how to plot more effectively. I now need to read back through it to determine if it's worth sharing with anyone else. 

Before I do that though, I'm finally getting back to Amber & Ice and am determined to finish my initial edits, no matter how many other story ideas I have (currently at a total of three). I still feel like there is a lot of promise in this idea, even though my first draft was really weak. The good thing is I have loads of ideas on how to make it better and I'm really pleased with how editing is going. The major problem at the moment is that I think it reads like YA, but with NA aged characters... Do I change up the story completely so the characters are in school rather than uni, or do I work on my extreme avoidance of writing romance scenes? If you've read the first draft on Wattpad, I'd love to know your thoughts! It also desperately needs a better title, but inspiration for that is still eluding me at the moment. 

That's all from me for this week - I need to get back to editing!

No comments:

Post a Comment