Saturday 2 December 2017

Gilded Cage


Firstly, I would like to say that any novel which mentions the Isles of Scilly is a major winner in my eyes. The fact that some of the next book might take place on Tresco has me giddy with excitement.

The Britain of Gilded Cage is dramatically divided - skilled 'Equals' rule the lower classes, who are forced to complete ten years of slavery in order to become full citizens. Abi and Luke Hadley have just begun their slavedays, hoping to complete them as a family while they are young enough to survive. But family secrets, rebellion and magic mean their days are anything but easy. 

I loved the multiple perspectives this novel was written in; they weaved together so well and kept the pace of the story fresh and exciting. The world James creates was terrifying, but detailed and enthralling. 

There was a fantastic focus on sibling relationships and I looked forward to seeing these developed further in book two.



No comments:

Post a Comment